FUSE Labs has an active internship program for graduate students from a wide range of disciplines to design, develop, and study social computing systems. Previous interns have come from Computer Science, Information Science, Sociology, Art, and Design.
The internships are paid and have a duration of 12 weeks. Most interns join the lab in the summer, when the majority of interns across Microsoft Research are around. Interns are hosted either in Redmond, WA or New York City, depending on the location of the FUSE mentor.
The expected outcome of the internship is determined in collaboration with a mentor. In the past, interns have worked on advanced prototypes and peer-reviewed publications for venues like CHI, CSCW, and ICWSM. Interns are expected to collaborate with other interns, researchers, and other members of the lab, give presentations of their work, and contribute to the life of the community.
The goals of the internship are to help the intern advance their own career, encourage interdisciplinary collaboration, and contribute to our R&D efforts.
Applicants from universities inside and outside of the United States are welcome to apply.
Openings for Summer 2016
Fill out the Microsoft Research internship application form. Make sure to indicate the name(s) of the permanent members of FUSE that you would like to work with. Please also include the names of at least two letter of recommendation writers who will respond to the request for letters in a prompt fashion. We typically look at internship applications in January.
- Xin Liu, RISD, Digital+Media
- Mengxiao Li, ACCD, Media Design Practices
- Alex Stewart, RISD, Digital+Media
- Rajan Vaish, UC Santa Cruz, Computer Science
- Ali Alkhatib, Stanford, Computer Science
- Justin Cranshaw, CMU, Computer Science (now at MSR/FUSE)
- Joy Kim, Stanford, Computer Science
- Julie Hui, Northwestern University, Mechanical Engineering
- Noah Liebman, Northwestern University, Computer Science
- Jürgen Brandstetter, UC Canterbury, Computer Science
- Emma Spiro, UC Irvine, Sociology (now faculty at UW)
- J. Nathan Matias, MIT, Media Lab
- Yuheng Hu, ASU, Computer Science (now faculty at UIC)
- Erin Smith, NYU, ITP
- Ilwon Yoon, NYU, ITP
- Behzod Sirjani, UW, HCDE (now at Facebook)
- Sarah Hallacher, NYU, ITP
- Cindy Wong, NYU, ITP (now at Bing)
- Iris Howley, CMU, HCII
- Peyina Lin, UW, iSchool
- Rob Faludi, NYU, ITP (now Chief Innovation Officer at Digi)
- Mike Bukhin, NYU, ITP (now at Habitworks)
- Demetrie Tyler, NYU, ITP (now at Habitworks)
- Terence Arjo , NYU, ITP